Reversing with a caravan
When I was thinking about buying a caravan, one of the aspects I was nervous about was reversing with the caravan. At the time, my car didn’t even have a tow bar, so I couldn’t practice with a trailer.
After purchasing the caravan, I explained to the campground receptionist at the first place that I had literally JUST bought the caravan and would appreciate an easy site. She found a spot where I could drive straight in – perfect. I happily procrastinated about learning how to reverse for a while longer.
It’s really just practicing. The second campground I stayed at, there was no-one watching, so I gave it a good go and started to understand how the caravan moved. I’ve become competent and have been able to reverse into all the sites so far… even if it takes a couple of goes.
Tips for reversing with a caravan
- Have a visual in your head with what direction the caravan and car turns. Focus on what direction the car needs to turn, as it’s easier!
- A tip from a truck driver /caravan owner – give yourself plenty of room to reverse. Go well beyond your site and turn the caravan in a gentle curve.
- Explain to the campground owner that you’re still patchy with reversing and ask for an easy site. They have sites that are smaller and tighter, so it’s worth mentioning.
- If someones watching, chances are you’ll muck-up. It’s happened to me plenty of times!
- The more you do it, the easier it becomes – honestly.
I’m not perfect yet… but I’ll get there. Practice, practice, practice.
What are your hesitations about buying a caravan? I’d love to read them in the comments below.